Was Usenet ever considered as a kind of social network?
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-11-03 19:48:26 UTC
Was Usenet ever considered as a kind of social network?

How old is the phrase "social network"?
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Libor Striz
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Was Usenet ever considered as a kind of social network?How old is the phrase "social network"?
The term is much older than internet itself, the origins go back
to late 19th century.

Internet has just brought a new technology to social networks.
--
Libor Striz aka Poutnik ( a pilgrim/wanderer/wayfarer)

"Humour is the only effective weapon against stupidity."
Miloš Forman

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-11-04 15:28:24 UTC
Post by Libor Striz
Was Usenet ever considered as a kind of social network?How old is the phrase "social network"?
The term is much older than internet itself, the origins go back
to late 19th century.
Internet has just brought a new technology to social networks.
I don't remember people using the phrase "social network" to describe
older forms of messaging networks....
Libor Striz
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
The term is much older than internet itself, the origins go back> to late 19th century.> > Internet has just brought a new technology to social networks.
I don't remember people using the phrase "social network" to describe older forms of messaging networks....
The term "social network" was coined in psychology. It does not
mean "messaging network", but network with social interaction
between members.

Social networks in sense of internet messaging networks are just a
special case of above. And yes, Usenet is one of them, no matter
if it was explicitly called so or not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network?wprov=sfla1

http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Shadow
2018-11-04 16:18:44 UTC
On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 21:21:01 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Libor Striz
Post by Libor Striz
Was Usenet ever considered as a kind of social network?How old is the phrase "social network"?
I down voted the troll for posting this to OT groups and for
not researching the answer.
Post by Libor Striz
The term is much older than internet itself, the origins go back
to late 19th century.
Internet has just brought a new technology to social networks.
Yes, datamining and profiling by AI.

You get an up vote
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
e***@hotmail.com
2018-11-04 16:53:59 UTC
Manny never does any research. He just throws out questions. This is actually reasonable for him!
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-11-04 17:04:12 UTC
Post by Shadow
I down voted the troll for posting this to OT groups and for
not researching the answer.
Manny never does any research. He just throws out questions. This is actually reasonable for him!
You can research something via Google Search, but how do you be sure
that what you found is accepted beliefs among other people? And hence,
the questions!

How many of us really research every word we read in the media, let
alone the sort of closed academic world?
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-11-07 02:31:49 UTC
Usenet is just an extension of the former bbs's that were prevalent during the formative years of the internet.
Nomen Nescio
2018-11-07 05:13:29 UTC
I said you ma bitch! Keep posting fucktard!!!!!

You're very familiar with Grinder girly man, you fucking faggot.
You're a nothin wannabe stolen valor asshole. It means that you're a piece of shit.
Here's all of his contact information, so feel free to get
in touch. If you want more information about him, just let
me know!
Neal D. Warren/Wilbur Hubbard/Gregory Hall
200 Florida Ave #1065
Tavernier, FL 33070-2641
305-664-1729 Landline
305-304-7546 Wireless