"The Best Explanation for Our Spate of Mass Shootings Is the Least Comforting"
Add Reply
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-23 18:26:43 UTC
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/why-do-mass-shootings-happen-best-explanation/
[...]
On another terrible day, I hate to introduce even more pessimism, but
when we discuss mass shootings, one of the first questions we ask
is the
simplest and also the hardest to answer. Why? Why does this keep
happening? Those who advocate for gun control have an immediate
answer —
the prevalence of guns in the United States. Yet guns have been
part of
the fabric of American life for the entire history of our
republic. Mass
shootings — especially the most deadly mass shootings — are a far
more
recent phenomenon.
Writing in 2015, Malcolm Gladwell wrote what I think is still the
best
explanation for modern American mass shootings, and it’s easily the
least comforting. At the risk of oversimplifying a complex argument,
essentially he argues that each mass shooting lowers the threshold
for
the next. He argues, we are in the midst of a slow-motion “riot”
of mass
shootings, with the Columbine shooting in many ways the key
triggering
event.
[...]
I'll give him this one, it makes a lot of sense. But it doesn't
explain the underlying reason that the first ones began.
Gladwell is hardly an NRA conservative — and he believes gun control
“has its place” — but he also shares this grim warning: “Let’s not
kid
ourselves that if we passed the strictest gun control in the world
that
we would end this particular kind of behavior.”
That's probably true. It isn't ONE thing, it is a group of things.
[...]
While early reports are often wrong, there are indications that the
Texas shooter engaged in behavior that sounds eerily like the
Columbine
shooting. We’ve seen reports of a trench coat, of the use of similar
weapons, and of explosives — all hallmarks of the Colorado massacre.
When I think of Columbine, I think of Gladwell’s essay. There are
young
men in the grip of a terrible contagion, and there is no cure coming.
[...]
Seems unlikely aside from Internet repetition of the events of
Columbine. This kid would have been an infant when Columbine happened.
If gun control is not the answer (and it isn't), what is the answer?
No, gun control is not "not the answer". It is a part of the
answer. Mental health is part of the answer. Changing the endless
arguments in the country that confuse and embitter our children is
part of the answer.
Gun control is not any part of the answer.
Stricter gun control absolutely is a part of the answer - the biggest
part.  Gun control /per se/ does not infringe the right to keep and
bear arms - it all depends on the form of it.
Your right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited.  Get over it.
The U.S. Governments delegated powers is what is NOT unlimited.

The delegated powers to the U.S. are limited..... My RIGHTS are not....
I can make noise if there is no one to hear it and claim their RIGHT to
sleep is being violated.

Are you suggesting that gay sex can be limited because gays don't have
an unlimited RIGHT to have sex as long as it doesn't violate the RIGHTS
of others? That government has powers that aren't delegated?

Should gay sex for instance, spread AIDS that kills people... be
allowed to continue and shouldn't sodomy laws be enacted again to stop
the violation of MY rights by gays or others that spread life
threatening AIDS?

It only seem equal if guns are being limited that gay sex which also
kills, be limited. Sodomy laws are like gun laws they'll save lives
according to you? And it's you who says sexual RIGHTS like homosexual
RIGHTS to sodomy that spreads AIDS are NOT UNLIMITED RIGHTS.

That would mean that marriage is no more unlimited than is the RIGHT TO
KEEP AND BEAR ARMS is unlimited. Sodomy can be banned in or out of
marriage and that would "exclude gay marriage from ever being allowed"
because there is no vagina in a gay marriage so any marriage without a
vagina and a penis for normal sex would be able to be banned as it can't
be a marriage according to the legal requirements of NO sodomy.

Interesting that your logic seems to overturn the Supreme Courts logic
on gay marriage. The contradiction is there and you can't have both
ways. If one is true the other can NOT be true. Pick one.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-23 19:21:31 UTC
[...]
It's obviously the answer. We're the only country that has virtually no gun control and we're the only country that has a gun killing problem.
What that should look like is worth discussion, of course, but what we do now - which is essentially nothing - is obviously not working.
We are the only country with a gun killing problem?
You may wish to reexamine that statement.
I have. We had 38,000 gun deaths last year. In all, more than 150,000 are shot every year.
Do you know of a developed country that even comes close?
Is that worse than 40,000 opiate deaths? or over 200,000 deaths in the
medical industry from incompetence and callous disregard?

How many people died in their wars that they caused and dragged us into
like WWI and WWII? It wasn't their 2nd amendment that kept them free,
in fact their lack of freedom to own guns may be the cause of hundreds
of thousands of American lives being lost in the last century in wars
that would never have happened had they had a 2nd amendment. ;)