ERICKSON: A Conspiracy Of Idiocy
Ubiquitous
2018-05-28 14:11:16 UTC
Many people love to concoct grand, elaborate conspiracies to explain
the world around them. Instead of realizing they made bad decisions, it
must have been some malevolent force out to get them. Instead of
recognizing they are surrounded by incompetence, there must be some
mysterious force pulling the strings working several steps ahead.

Many people sleep better at night convinced of a malevolent conspiracy
of sinister forces running government than realizing government is
composed of incompetent bureaucrats protecting their turf. Wouldn't it
reassure you to know your government functions at the hands of an evil
genius pulling strings rather than that it is really an idiocracy just
trying to keep afloat?

That brings me to the Russians and our election. We know from various
text messages from FBI agents that they felt it their mission to
investigate and find evidence to stop Donald Trump from becoming
president. For those who dismiss the idea of partisanship, look no
further than the IRS, which worked to block conservative groups from
getting nonprofit status. An internal investigation revealed partisan
motivation.

There were partisans involved at the FBI. The question is how much
partisanship was involved, and here both Democrats and Republicans have
a vested interest in muddying the water in favor of conspiracies.
Democrats believe the Russians stole the election from Hillary Clinton.
It is far more convenient for them to believe in an elaborate
international conspiracy than to acknowledge they bet on a horse that
should have long ago been sent to the political glue factory.

Republicans also believe a conspiracy theory. They want you to believe
the Christopher Steele dossier was the trigger for a host of attacks on
and investigations within the Trump campaign paid for and orchestrated
by Democrats. It is far easier to believe that than acknowledge the guy
who claims to only hire the best people hired a bunch of people in bed
with Russians who did not have America's best interests at heart.

Barack Obama surrounded himself with people who had so much contempt
for their political opponents that every time they made decisions about
furthering investigations into Donald Trump, they presumed the absolute
worst and made decisions accordingly. Now, Donald Trump has surrounded
himself with people who have just as much contempt for the left as
Obama's advisors did for the right. The Trump team presumes the worst
about the FBI, the DOJ and everyone else. We have reached peak
conspiracy.

The truth is that our intelligence community had signal intelligence
clearly showing the Russians wanted to interfere in our electoral
processes. Our intelligence officials looked around and saw Paul
Manafort and Carter Page were working with Trump and both had ties to
Russians. They drew conclusions based on that intelligence. Along came
Democrats with a dossier of information suggesting Trump was working
with or being blackmailed by the Russians, and the Obama political team
overseeing the intelligence community presumed the worst they could
about Trump.

Manafort and Page did not stay with Trump through the campaign. It is
not really believable that they orchestrated a plot within the Trump
team to steal the election. There is no evidence they went outside the
campaign to execute the plan. But concurrently, it is true that Donald
Trump Jr. was happy to meet with a Russian for dirt on Hillary Clinton.
That is not illegal, but it is unethical. The Trump team believed the
worst about the Clintons and surely believed the Clinton team would
pull out all the stops, too.

We are where we are because both sides believed the worst about the
other. The Democrats never thought Trump would win and would rather
believe a conspiracy theory than believe Clinton was a terrible
candidate. Likewise, the Trump fans would rather believe the FBI was
really out to get Trump than believe he made some staggeringly stupid
hires and people around him made staggeringly unethical decisions.
Forrest Gump was right. Stupid is as stupid does.
#BeamMeUpScotty
2018-05-28 15:14:06 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Many people love to concoct grand, elaborate conspiracies to explain
the world around them
And they aren't all wrong....

A homeless person can never be lost.