Deadly crossbows sold on High Street without need for a licence or background checks
Mr. Man-wai Chang
2018-05-27 09:55:31 UTC
LMAO.... "assault rifle-style crossbows"
what a bunch of pussies! No wonder the invaders are taking over the UK
Deadly crossbows sold on High Street without need for a licence or
background checks
Then you should really worry about smuggling and human trafficking
across your Holy Land's borders! They combined can have military
consequences! :)
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不賭錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):
Frank
2018-05-26 19:37:21 UTC
Post by Mr. Man-wai Chang
LMAO.... "assault rifle-style crossbows"
what a bunch of pussies! No wonder the invaders are taking over the UK
Deadly crossbows sold on High Street without need for a licence or
background checks
Then you should really worry about smuggling and human trafficking
across your Holy Land's borders! They combined can have military
consequences! :)
New Raven crossbow shoots at 100 yards with rifle like accuracy. In US
you can buy black powder arms with out a background check but they are
illegal for felons, as are crossbows in some states.
rbowman
2018-05-26 21:18:47 UTC
Post by Frank
New Raven crossbow shoots at 100 yards with rifle like accuracy. In US
you can buy black powder arms with out a background check but they are
illegal for felons, as are crossbows in some states.
I've seen the Ravin claims but for about $1400 I'll stick to rifles with
rifle like accuracy.
Frank
2018-05-26 22:47:41 UTC
Post by rbowman
New Raven crossbow shoots at 100 yards with rifle like accuracy.  In US
you can buy black powder arms with out a background check but they are
illegal for felons, as are crossbows in some states.
I've seen the Ravin claims but for about $1400 I'll stick to rifles with
rifle like accuracy.
I think that's a low end price. They run up to $2,400. Someone did
check them out and they are that accurate. You are still talking about
400 fps muzzle velocity and could be several feet off if you do not know
the exact distance. Laser range finder is needed for that. Some of
these high speed crossbows don't last long and can fail catastrophically.
rbowman
2018-05-26 23:25:06 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by rbowman
Post by Frank
New Raven crossbow shoots at 100 yards with rifle like accuracy. In US
you can buy black powder arms with out a background check but they are
illegal for felons, as are crossbows in some states.
I've seen the Ravin claims but for about $1400 I'll stick to rifles
with rifle like accuracy.
I think that's a low end price. They run up to $2,400. Someone did
check them out and they are that accurate. You are still talking about
400 fps muzzle velocity and could be several feet off if you do not know
the exact distance. Laser range finder is needed for that. Some of
these high speed crossbows don't last long and can fail catastrophically.
That was my thought. I don't know how many grains the bolts are but at
400 fps you've got quite a rainbow going. I'll stick to my compound and
try for 3" groups at 30 yards...
d***@gmail.com
2018-05-27 02:01:24 UTC
Whenever I think of Bows and Arrows....

http://youtu.be/7ytBebmuq-c

:)
Frank
2018-05-27 12:58:06 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by rbowman
New Raven crossbow shoots at 100 yards with rifle like accuracy.  In US
you can buy black powder arms with out a background check but they are
illegal for felons, as are crossbows in some states.
I've seen the Ravin claims but for about $1400 I'll stick to rifles
with rifle like accuracy.
I think that's a low end price.  They run up to $2,400.  Someone did
check them out and they are that accurate.  You are still talking about
400 fps muzzle velocity and could be several feet off if you do not know
the exact distance.  Laser range finder is needed for that.  Some of
these high speed crossbows don't last long and can fail catastrophically.
That was my thought. I don't know how many grains the bolts are but at
400 fps you've got quite a rainbow going. I'll stick to my compound and
try for 3" groups at 30 yards...
Bow technology is advancing rapidly. There are compounds now that shoot
nearly as fast and accurately to crossbows. I hung up my hunting
equipment last year but had switched to a crossbow because of spinal
stenosis in my neck and inability to practice a lot. Crossbow is nice
for a hunter as it is precocked and you shoot it like a rifle without
all the necessary movement with a bow.
rbowman
2018-05-27 18:04:20 UTC
Post by Frank
Bow technology is advancing rapidly. There are compounds now that shoot
nearly as fast and accurately to crossbows. I hung up my hunting
equipment last year but had switched to a crossbow because of spinal
stenosis in my neck and inability to practice a lot. Crossbow is nice
for a hunter as it is precocked and you shoot it like a rifle without
all the necessary movement with a bow.
For the first shot... iirc the French crossbows had a problem when they
went up against English longbows. Apples and oranges I realize.

I never had reason to time it but my gut feeling is a follow up shot
with my recurve is faster than with the compound because I don't have to
deal with the release I use with a compound. I that case I could just go
to a finger release on the compound.

The rope cockers take a lot more motion. Any of the crank cockers I've
seen on youtube make a click-click-click racket that ought to convince
Bambi to be someplace else.

d***@gmail.com
2018-05-26 22:08:36 UTC
Until the 1800s or so, a longbow worked by a skilled user was probably more capable than a musket, and definitely faster to reload.

Armies and most other folks went to guns because instruction of conscripts was easier with guns than maintaining the "English Longbow" tradition was. The English trained with bows from childhood through to young adulthood, en masse.

Of course, rifles and muskets were also picked up and used by American Indians, along with bows and other Native weapons. So maybe the gun had other attributes as well. Rifles were a big advance, and the increase in rate of fire as firearms advanced was also massive.