Polit-correct US paper fires non-pc Ann Coulter
InfoGuy123
2004-02-15 16:55:32 UTC
Coulter gets a pink slip

12:00 AM PST on Sunday, February 15, 2004

By GALE HAMMONS / The Press-Enterprise

I wanted to like Ann Coulter's work. Her best lines make me laugh out loud. A
recent example was her bit that suggested slogans for the Democratic candidates
for president (Kucinich: ".001 Percent of America Can't Be Wrong!").

The problem is her worst lines, which make me - and many others - absolutely
cringe. Because of her repetitive, tasteless "jokes" about minority groups, we
have dropped her column from The Press-Enterprise.

We brought Coulter aboard last month as one of 13 fresh voices; the basic idea
was to add vitality and diversity to our pages. Coulter joined the mix because
several of our editors liked her vigor and candor even if we didn't necessarily
agree with her views. Her sample columns did not contain offensive material,
and we expected her writing to meet a more professional standard. We took a
chance on a firebrand writer, and it didn't work. We're not afraid to admit our
mistake, and fix it.

Readers should not take this to mean that conservative or provocative writers
will be shoved from our pages. We'll continue to publish a range of columnists
from across the political spectrum, and we will replace Coulter with that
standard in mind.

However, we will not harbor columnists whose work is threaded with invective.

Reach Gale Hammons, editorial page editor of The Press-Enterprise, at 368-9408
or ***@pe.com.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/opinion/localviews/stories/PE_OpEd_Opinion_op_
15_hammons.579a3.html

"If ye love wealth better than liberty ... servitude better than ... freedom,
go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms ... May your
chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
BKLATTY
2004-02-15 17:36:51 UTC
She's a piece of shit.
Doktor DynaSoar
2004-02-15 19:00:50 UTC
On 15 Feb 2004 17:36:51 GMT, ***@aol.com (BKLATTY) wrote:

} She's a piece of shit.

There's a whole crowd of Fecal-Americans who want to have a word with
you.
CopertopKiller
2004-02-16 18:01:55 UTC
They should be armed.
Elmer Thudd
2004-02-15 19:49:23 UTC
Post by BKLATTY
She's a piece of shit.
That's no reason for her to drop Coulter's column!
Doktor DynaSoar
2004-02-16 18:15:51 UTC
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:49:23 GMT, Elmer Thudd <***@wabbit.net>
wrote:

} BKLATTY wrote:
} > She's a piece of shit.
}
} That's no reason for her to drop Coulter's column!

True. But she was offensive on purpose more as a writing technique
than with a valid point. That's cheap work, like comedy with cussing
to cover for poor humor content.

And she used the same insults towards the same people over and over.
Her material became that and only that.

That sort of thing ends up harming one's own side by making people
think everyone of that viewpoint is like that. It's tough enough when
loud mouth radio talk show hosts figure out that taking this political
stance and acting like this is very popular and they can make a lot of
money. Most of them really don;t give a damn what side they're arguing
other than for their own paycheck. When people start to identify that
political viewpoint with that kind of behavior, it doesn't help at
all.

There are far better writers with the same political viewpoint.

Elmer Thudd
2004-02-15 19:48:27 UTC
Coulter gets a pink slip
12:00 AM PST on Sunday, February 15, 2004
By GALE HAMMONS / The Press-Enterprise
Whoop-de-do!
A southern-Californican paper picked her up for a month, then dropped her.

I'm shocked!